In week 19, the overall assessment remains green (below baseline activity).
- GP consultation rate for influenza-like illness (ILI) remained below the baseline threshold for normal seasonal activity.
- The colour indicator for influenza in closed settings remained green (below baseline activity). Virological detections of influenza in secondary care continue to reduce. No ARI outbreaks were reported in week 19, whereas one SARI case was reported this week.
- In week 19, no statistically significant all-cause mortality excess was observed. It is difficult to assess the contribution of influenza to the very high* statistically significant excess in all-cause mortality reported in weeks 52, 1 and 2, but ICU mortality due to laboratory confirmed influenza remains below expected seasonal range.
- Influenza vaccination for season 2017/18 is now complete. To week 15, provisional end of season data suggested that vaccine uptake rates were similar to the previous season, with some groups seeing an increase whilst others were similar or slightly lower.
- An increase in community circulation of influenza prompted the issue of a CMO letter in week 50 and the advice that GPs may prescribe antivirals remains in force.