Health Protection Scotland has reissued information for the public on E. coli O157 and other STEC infections including:
- What are E. coli O157 and STEC?
- Where is STEC found?
- How can infection be avoided?
Some simple but effective precautions include:
- Washing and drying hands thoroughly using running warm water and liquid soap.
- Minimising contact with animal faeces.
- Good food hygiene practices.
- Not drinking untreated water.
For further guidance on avoiding bugs and germs whilst enjoying Scotland’s outdoors see www.nhsinform.scot/bugs-and-germs