The purpose of the Investigation tool and guidance framework is to support the investigation of a severe case or cases of Clostridium difficile Infection (CDI) cases(s) in order to:
- Identify if the patient’s care was the best possible
- identify if the patient’s clinical care and overall management was optimum
- Identify if any improvements can be made
- Make it safer for all patients
- Determine what can be improved to reduce the risk of future patients developing severe CDI infection and subsequent more severe disease
To ensure optimal patient safety it is highly recommended that the framework and investigation tool are integrated and embedded into the NHS Boards clinical governance and risk management processes, systems and structure i.e. the tool should be included in the Adverse Incidents and Escalation Policy.