International travel continues to be impacted due to COVID-19, with many countries having rules and restrictions in place for arriving international travellers. Guidance on international travel is available for people living in Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Travelling abroad from the UK during COVID-19:
Prior to booking travel abroad, travellers should be advised to consider the following steps:
- Review the FCDO foreign travel advice country pages for the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings:
- Travellers should check the advice for each of the countries they intend to travel or transit through.
- The ‘Entry Requirements’ section will advise if the country is currently allowing UK travellers to enter.
- Travellers should be aware that travel regulations may change at short notice.
- Check the risk of exposure to COVID-19 at their destination:
- Country pages on the fitfortravel (for the general public) and TRAVAX (for health professionals) websites include a COVID-19 country specific risk-rating, which identifies the risk of exposure to COVID-19 for UK travellers. This information is listed in the Alerts section on each individual fitfortravel country page and the Emerging Health Risks section of each individual TRAVAX country page.
- Travellers should be aware that some countries or territories may require proof of COVID-19 vaccination status for entry. Guidance for demonstrating COVID-19 vaccination status is available for those living in Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Travellers should consider their risk of developing severe COVID-19 and check the availability of medical facilities at their destination.
- Ensure they have adequate travel insurance.
- Check the entry requirement rules for re-entering the UK:
- Consider other health risks when travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- It is important to remind travellers that they may be exposed to a range of illnesses and health risks during travel, other than COVID-19.
- All travellers should comply with local public health requirements, such as physical distancing, wearing of face coverings and self-isolation in the country they are visiting. Good hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene measures should be maintained at all times, regardless of vaccination status or previous recovery from COVID-19 infection.
It is advised that travellers are aware of all travel restrictions and precautions they should take, in order to reduce their risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) before, during and after travel, as detailed on the fitfortravel COVID-19 health considerations for travel page.
Source: TRAVAX, 8 March 2022