The World Health Organization (WHO) European Regional Office for Europe and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) have published an epidemiological situation report on tuberculosis (TB) in Europe for 2019.
In key findings from the report:
- 49,752 cases of TB were reported in 29 EU/EEA countries, resulting in a notification rate of 9.6 per 100,000 of the population
- 38,267 (76.9%) of all notified TB cases were newly diagnosed
- adults aged between 25 and 64 years accounted for 65.3% of all new and relapse TB cases
- children under 15 years of age accounted for 4.1% of all new and relapse TB cases
- new and relapse TB cases were more frequently reported in males than females, with a male-to-female ratio of 1.8
Source: ECDC, 22 March 2021